Food label information
The Food Standards Code states that all food labels must contain specific information.
Part 1.2 of the standards sets out this requirement.
All food labels must contain the following information:
- Name and/or description of the food
- Identification of the ‘lot’ number (food recall information)
- Name and Australian or New Zealand street address of the supplier of food (food recall information)
- List of ingredients
- Date mark
- Nutrition information panel (NIP)
- Country of origin of the food
- Warning and advisory statements
There are additional requirements for some food.
There are also legibility requirements. Required information must be written or set out legibly, prominently and in English. If a label is in another language, that’s okay so long as essential information is also in English.
See Labelling laws for more information.